Friday, June 29, 2007

Over the Water by Deborah Raney

I have not read anything by Deborah Raney before. I tend to pull titles off the public library shelf and see if I like it. This was a pretty decent story and a quick read. It was not the kind of book that would require tons of thought, but it was a comforting story about how following God’s plan for your life is the best thing for you.

I especially enjoyed the descriptions of Haiti. I have never been there, but it reminded me of the one week I spent in Guatemala. The wide spread poverty and yet joy is an amazing thing to experience. At the beginning of the book, the main character, Josh, dies serving as a doctor for orphanages in Haiti. The rest of the story explains the chain of events that occur in the heart of his father, Max, and a girl that is called into missionary service named Valerie. You always pray that God works like this in real life. It would be great to see a follow-up to see what happens after this book ends. Many unanswered questions…

Nothing fantastic, but an enjoyable interlude.

No comments: