Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Dandelion Dust by Karen Kingsbury

I found this book for $.50 at the thrift store a couple of weeks ago when I was shopping for new jeans. Why is it a get "used" jeans and my daughter gets brand new? Sacrifices I tell you! Anyway, I couldn't pass up a Kingsbury book that I hadn't read yet.

I started reading it right away then had to set it aside. The unresolved conflict in this book was agonizing! The premise behind the book revolves around adoption. The main character Molly is living a blessed life - great husband, nice house, no financial worries and a great son Joey who is adopted. Her world is turned upside down when she gets a phonecall from the adoption agency saying that the adoption was fraudulent. Molly and her husband, Jack, will need to hand over custody to a couple a thousand miles away. How could God have this happen? If there was a God - Molly and Jack were not sure about that. Joey takes the step to trust God through it all and brings his parents along as they fight to be his parents forever.

Kingsbury does a great job of setting the stage of hopelesses on one end and the joy of the birth mom to get her son back. My heart was just torn. The thought of having to say good-bye to my son - I think that I would do everything that I could to keep him with me. The ending was a little abrupt, but possibly realistic. I was rooting for both mom's.

I definately recommend this book, but be prepared to cry...

No comments: