Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dying Declaration by Randy Singer

I usually don't post on the weekends - dial up, but I just finished this book last night and wanted to write a review before I started another book in my list.

This is a courtroom thriller, written by a real trial lawyer. I really enjoy books that are written by authentic people that have experienced the profession they are writing about. A lot of the dialogue and action occur in the courtroom setting. I wasn't sure that it would be a book for me, but the twists and turns kept you guessing until the last page.

This book was the trial of parents who did not believe in going to doctors to heal their children and, as a result, their youngest dies at the hospital when they finally did decide to go. Singer does a great job of making the character's real - the lawyer, family and others. The lawyer, Charles Arnold, is a believer and has his own skeleton's that he is dealing with. The plot thickens as Mr. Arnold is also defending a known drug trafficker, Buster, on constitutional issues of racial profiling. The father and Buster become cellmates while in jail and Buster is led to the Lord. By the end, you are rooting for the lawyer and waiting for the verdict.

I would recommend this book, but not necessarily a light read. The author deals with issues of racial differences as well as religious differences. I found it thought provoking.

Hopes this helps in looking for that book to read.

Thanks for reading

Cyndee

No comments: